Not Found

Find information on medical topics, symptoms, drugs, procedures, news and more, written in everyday language.

Eyelid Lacerations

By Kathryn Colby, MD, PhD, Louis Block Professor and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Science, University of Chicago School of Medicine

If the skin around the eye or on the eyelid has been cut, stitches may be needed. When possible, stitches near the edge of the eyelid should be placed by an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who specializes in the evaluation and treatment—surgical and nonsurgical—of eye disorders) to ensure that no deformities develop that will affect the way the eyelids close. An injury that causes the eyelid to droop, goes through the entire thickness of the eyelid, or affects the tear ducts (ducts that drain tears off of the eye) also should be repaired by an ophthalmologist. The tear ducts are in parts of both the lower and upper eyelids nearest the nose.