Find information on medical topics, symptoms, drugs, procedures, news and more, written in everyday language.

Non–X-Linked Recessive Disorders

Non–X-Linked Recessive Disorders
Non–X-Linked Recessive Disorders

Some disorders represent a non–X-linked recessive trait. To have the disorder, a person usually must receive two abnormal genes, one from each parent. If both parents carry one abnormal gene and one normal gene, neither parent has the disorder but each has a 50% chance of passing the abnormal gene to the children. Therefore, each child has A 25% chance of inheriting two abnormal genes (and thus of developing the disorder) A 25% chance of inheriting two normal genes A 50% chance of inheriting one normal and one abnormal gene (thus becoming a carrier of the disorder like the parents) Therefore, among the children, the chance of not developing the disorder (that is, being normal or a carrier) is 75%.