Acetaminophen is an over-the-counter medicine used to lower fevers and lessen pain. It's sold under many brand names, such as Tylenol®. It's also found in many cough and cold products.
Acetaminophen is usually safe, but too much can hurt you.
Acetaminophen poisoning is the result of taking too much acetaminophen.
Most acetaminophen poisoning happens when you accidentally take several different medicines or products that have acetaminophen
Acetaminophen poisoning can happen slowly from taking small doses of acetaminophen over time
Acetaminophen poisoning can seriously damage your liver
Carefully read the labels of cough and cold products
If you're taking care of a child with a cold or cough, be very careful you don't give the child too much acetaminophen. Many different types of medicines in all different forms (liquid, pill, chewable) have acetaminophen as an ingredient. Don’t give a child medicine with acetaminophen if the child has already taken a different medicine with acetaminophen.
If you think you or someone else may have acetaminophen poisoning, call for emergency medical assistance (911 in most areas of the United States) right away or call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 for advice.
There usually aren't symptoms right away.
If your overdose is very large, symptoms happen in stages:
First, you may throw up and otherwise feel sick
After 1 to 3 days, you may feel sick to your stomach, throw up, and have belly pain
After 3 to 4 days, you may throw up more, develop yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), and bleed under the skin, and from the nose or gums
After about 5 days, you either recover or your organs fail, which can kill you.
If the poisoning is from taking smaller doses over time, you may have:
If your liver is damaged, you may need to be treated for liver failure or even a liver transplant.