Aspirin is an over-the-counter medicine taken for pain relief.
Aspirin poisoning is sickness from taking a very high dose of aspirin all at once, or many low doses of aspirin over time (gradual poisoning).
To be poisoned by aspirin, you need to take much more than the regular amount
Taking a small amount of aspirin (baby aspirin) daily according to your doctor's instructions in order to lower the chance of a heart attack won't cause gradual poisoning
Children should never be given aspirin because it can cause a rare but life-threatening sickness called Reye syndrome
Oil of wintergreen has a chemical related to aspirin in it. It's very dangerous to young children and can kill them if they swallow even a teaspoon of it.
If you think you or someone else may have aspirin poisoning, call for emergency medical assistance (911 in most areas of the United States) or the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 right away.
If you take too much aspirin at one time (acute poisoning), the first symptoms are:
For severe poisoning, you may also feel:
Symptoms from gradual poisoning show up over several days or weeks. You feel: