Shock is a medical emergency caused by your organs not getting enough blood and oxygen. It has nothing to do with the "shock" we feel when something scares or upsets us. When your body can't get enough blood to your organs, those organs start shutting down. Your blood pressure is very low when you're in shock.
You can go into shock from losing too much blood, not having enough fluids in your body, or having heart problems, severe infections, or allergic reactions
Shock makes you feel weak, dizzy, and confused, and you may pass out
Doctors treat the cause of the shock and give you fluids, oxygen, and sometimes medicines to help raise your blood pressure
Without treatment, someone in shock will die
People in shock need emergency treatment. If you think someone is in shock:
Shock is caused by your organs (such as your brain, heart, and lungs) shutting down because they aren't getting enough blood. There are different types of shock depending on why your organs aren't getting enough blood:
Your body doesn't have enough blood or fluids, because you've bled a lot or are dehydrated
Your heart isn't pumping hard enough
Your blood vessels relax and get wider, which can happen if you have an allergic reaction, severe infection, poisoning, or damage to your nervous system
Doctors will treat you in the hospital and give you:
Doctors also treat the cause of your shock, which may include giving other medicines or doing surgery.